Thursday, December 16, 2010

In memory of Jennie Howell - Aug 2nd, 1921 to Dec 15th, 2010

I lost my mother yesterday.  She was so tired and wanted to go - but she waited.  For the past 8 months I have lived with the knowledge that she was failing and that if she were to go - there was nothing that I could do.  I couldn't travel, be with her or Dad or with others as we celebrated her life.  She knew that - so she waited - waited until I could get there, waited until she was sure that we would all be there for Dad, waited until everyone was ready.    I thank her for that. 

She lived for 89 years - the last 14 were a bonus - due to her tenacity and determination as well as Dad's extraordinary care for her.  We were suppose to lose her in 1996 - the family had gathered around her and the Bishop came and gave her the last rights.  Instead - she recovered and started looking at life as a bonus.  She enjoyed small things, took life on a day to day basis and loved her family. 

In late Nov, she was doing well, having a day sharing memories with my sister-in-law, Maureen.  She was having some trouble remembering things that had gone before and Maur was helping her, reminding her of funny times, loving times and even sad times.  At some point - she told Maur she couldn't remember what she looked like - so Maureen took her picture to remind her - and here it is.  She probably wouldn't be too happy that I am sharing it (perhaps not her best picture) with the world on the Internet - but I think it is a wonderful picture - one of her best.  When you get past the wrinkles - it is the smile I remember and I thank Maur for having taken it. 

So I will miss you Mom, love you always and am so very glad that I had the chance to know you these past 58 years...

6 comments:

  1. Oh Jen. You were my friend and I will miss you. I know you know I loved you and I would like to share memories with you one more time. Love, Maur

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite memory of your mother is walking into your parent's cabin at the first family reunion in 1970 and watching them both make stuffed cabbage rolls for the big potluck. And you're right, that picture really does capture her smile. My prayers are with you.

    The Sam in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was always glad to see me, always with that radiant smile ...and she called me Logger too...which seemed so funny coming from her, but I knew that was always the way she would remember, me...if I called the house it would have to be Logger calling or she wouldn't know me. And if I said it was Logger, then always there was that smile. Peace Lei, see you tomorrow. Log

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right, her tenacity, her laugh and enthusiasm for life! I can hear her now!! She just always had a smile!! May your wonderful memories and love of her stay with you forever!!! Wish I could have been there to help celebrate her life!! Love you guys!! Maurita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom was a great lady, always smiling and cheerful looking through those glasses!! Back in '85 my college choir was singing at a church in their area, your mom and dad came to the concert and then housed me and a friend overnight. Your dad insisted we go to his favorite pizza place and try anchovies... they were terrible!! But your mom was a great host, doing our laundry and making us breakfast in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lei and Karen,
    What a great picture of your Mom! Looks just like I remembered except for the white hair--that same, broad grin, same happy, bright eyes! I will always remember her raspy voice and her laugh that filled any room she was in; and the gentle banter of jokes and teasing between her and your Dad...xo, Carol

    ReplyDelete