Saturday, January 29, 2011

We are on the Road again...

I know that I have been a bit lax when it comes to updating this blog - the main reason being that for the past month - my routine has been pretty much the same - I get up - make coffee - lounge about watching the world wake up (in this case - the world consists of Maur, Jim, Sam and Karen) and then go see Dad.  In between these exciting moments - I played with the puppies, and helped Karen get the Motor Home fitted out.
Needless to say - it was hard going - but someone had to do it...

On Sunday we got together with my nephew Richard and his wife Barb to celebrate his 40th birthday which occurs this week. God - I must be getting old if Richard is 40 already.  It has been really great just relaxing at Jim's taking life on a day by day basis - but it is time to head on.  Since we have been at Jim's, his washer, new dryer, stove, home electric circuits, wireless router and just about every other electrical appliance has had to be either repaired or replaced.  We are now known as Lei and Karen - the Rack and Ruin twins - although I don't think that we quite deserve this nickname.  Other than the home electrical circuits shorting out (mainly due to too heavy a draw on the home circuits by my Motor Home),  I don't think I was responsible for the other stuff.  Jim tried to blame me for the dryer - said the 2 loads I did without emptying the fluff was the cause - but I am not buying it. 

So Tuesday morning - we left Michigan for warmer parts - although it has been slow finding the warmer bits.  We stopped in Cincinnatti on Tuesday night - had dinner with a friend from Hilton Head and put up in a county park that is open year round if all you want is electrics.  No water, toilets or sewage - so the fact that we got up early and managed to skip off without paying for the site (we left so early - I didn't get dressed - just put my robe and slippers on and hit the road - boy - do I love the RVing thing...) didn't bother me too much.  Couldn't see paying $15 to park overnight - which is about all that site had to offer.  We set our sights on Jackson, Tenn. where we spent the next night.  To get there though - we had to go through a snow storm in Kentucky - lovely to look at - but definitely not the WARM I was looking for. 

 Once again, our site in Jackson gave us electrics - but for the rest - we were out of luck.  Now we are a bit desperate to get to the warmer parts.  I am sure that they are out there somewhere - we just need to get far enough south to find them.  On Thursday we got to Texarkana where when we pull into a RV park whose full service sites were exactly that - full service.  Great  - no need to complain any more about not getting full service with the sites.  No more issues with water or sewage - except for one small problem...When Maur was showing me everything about the motor home that they had gone over with her - it was just too cold to go outside and cover those misc. bits like - water systems, sewage hookups, hot water heater, etc.  So now - we arrive in Texarkana in the dark - I haven't a clue on what to do - and Karen is politely standing there - wondering how I ever managed to direct men in building cars and tractors when I couldn't organise myself to learn how to fill my water system and get the toilet in operation.

It took a couple of calls to Michigan - the first to Maur who said - "if you read my notes about winterising it - just reverse all of that and it should be fine".  Thanks Maur - the logic was flawless - but perhaps just a bit beyond me.  I got everything working on city water - but couldn't get my water pump or heater to work.  The next morning on Friday I called a service rep I met prior to leaving Michigan at the RV site where we purchased the home.  With minimal effort and seemingly endless patients - she walked me through it all and we now have a functioning motor home.  I am sure that there are little odds and ends that we will learn about as we go along - but for now - it is fully self contained and that makes everyone happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment