Sunday, January 30, 2011

Nightmare on Winnebago Street...

It is Friday morning - we are in Texarkana, Texas.  For the past few days (since arriving in Cincinnatti) I have been feeling a bit under the weather.  Feels like a cold coming on - so when I wake up the Friday morning - I am running a fever, coughing and generally feeling very poorly.  Karen does what we all do - she calls Maureen to diagnose my condition.  Before I know it - I have Karen staring down my throat - confirming all sorts for Maureen who decides it could be strep throat...or it could be a cold.  I have a thermometer shoved in my mouth every 15 minutes until finally Karen got a 100.9 reading and decided that she would drive me in this Winnebago to the nearest hospital - and trying to get Maur to back her decision so I will go along with it.  Not only will I not go along with it - I think I finally refused to talk to either of them - for fear that they would cook up some new scheme.

Needless to say - what I did need was a little bit more rest.  I stayed in bed until about 11am.  Then Karen said we needed to take the RV to the nearest Walmarts to pick up the medicine that Maur recommended and I figured once we have broken down the campsite - why not just hit the road and get as far down the way as possible.  So that is exactly what we did.  We left Texarkana and did a short day - settling into an RV park just west of Fort Worth in a town called Weatherford. 

Karen began showing similar symptoms to me - which made me think it wasn't anything more serious than the cold.  Maur had us pick up a bunch of medication - which Karen faithfully slings down my throat every 4 hours...as well as her own.  I shall not go into all of the gory details of our illnesses - suffice it to say that it is a good thing we sorted out the toilet systems. 

Me getting ready to pull out of Weatherford

This morning - we left Weatherford and began the trek west - going down past Abilene, Midland, Odessa and finally stopping for the night somewhere called Van Horn...all of this after we both got sick in the night and Karen was again sick while we were driving.  Troopers that we are - we never let it put us down - as we have to make Tuscon for the beginning of the week, Phoenix afterwards and still be in LA for Friday.  I can say that if ever there was a country that defies logic for settling down in - the land we traveled through called West Texas is it...no offense to our Texas lovers out there - but I can find no reason in the world to live anywhere near here.  Apart from cotton fields, wind farms, oil refineries, and nodding donkeys - there ain't much...Hopefully - today will bring new sites to renew my love of the diversity of this country as we are awaken to what I think are the Guadalupe Mountains of West Texas.  Far prettier than yesterday's trek. 

A nodding Donkey along a West Texas highway 


No comments:

Post a Comment