Sunday, April 3, 2011

On The Road Again...

Yes - it is true.  We are actually back in Tallulah - traveling south on I 25 towards another cousins' reunion.  I am beginning to think that I have way too many cousins - or should I say - Karen is...She knew she was going to meet up with my family on this trip - I just don't think she realised it would be quite so many...

We spent two weeks in Denver - originally planned to stay only a few days.  Unfortunately - I discovered some more lumps and after talking with my consultant in Aberdeen - it was suggested that prior to deciding what to do about it - perhaps I should see an Oncologist over here - have some lab work and a biopsy done so that we could speak intelligently about it.  So I was fortunate to get some fairly quick appointments (for a US Doctor that is...sorry Wink) and after going through all of the prodding and poking - prior to the results coming in - decided to travel onwards.  In the end - whatever the results - I won't be getting treated in Denver so it just made sense to get back on the road and keep pushing on. 

Prior to going though - we had a great time.  Really enjoyed spending time with Marge and Lori and all of the kids and their families.  Friday night we all got together at Amy and Brian's for a dinner and gab fest...The food was great - the company even better.  Only downer on the day was that the Colorado Rockies had lost their opening game with Arizona.  The grand kids were a blast to be around.  Karen had gone skiing with Kristi's family earlier in that week and got her bearings and confidence from the experience.  It cost her a day or so of total rest after the experience - but from her perspective - the recovery time was well worth it.  When her fybromyolgia acts up - she suffers alot - but I think she realises that if she pushes herself - she will be better off for it in the years to come. 

So Sat morning - we went and got the motor home from Kristi's house (had to move it there earlier in the week as Lori's neighbours were kicking up a fuss about it being parked out in the construction area - go figure), packed it up and were just having a last cup of coffee with Lori prior to departing when someone knocked on the door.  We thought for sure that someone was there complaining about it being out front - instead it was another neighbour (who hasn't moved in yet, just signed the contract) that also had a motor home and wondered how everyone reacted to Lori's...Well - after filling her in on how well everyone had taken it - she now realises that she needs to contact the HOA pretty quick and verify that she will be able to bring it in to pack or unpack - or she will be one very unhappy homeowner.  At least our experience has helped someone.

Now - we are back on the road - although we haven't gotten as far as we had hoped.  We stopped last night in Raton, NM - about 250 miles south of Denver.  It was our intention to finish the drive to Santa Fe this morning and spend a few days there - checking out what, by all accounts, is a beautiful city.  Instead - we have wind advisories - 50 to 70 mph gust from the west.  Traveling south - with winds that strong coming from the west didn't make sense to me - so we are staying on another day in Raton with hopes that we can travel tomorrow.  Even sitting still here at the camp site is a harrowing experience.  The winds are hitting the side of the motor home at tremendous speeds - rocking it back and forth.  The only advantage to this is that at the moment while I am writing this - Karen is watching a Russian Opera with subtitles...not my cup of tea - and the wind basically makes hearing it very difficult.  So I am content to let her continue to listen to it - especially after being accused of hogging Lori's TV remote - I decided to be more understanding.  Not everyone is a CSI buff after all...


1 comment:

  1. Hi There! I am Erin's mom, Amy. She told me about you two and I couldn't resist checking in here. I have found your blog so delightful and only wish I had had the opportunity to meet you while you were here in Colorado. Safe travels!! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete